Aug 17, 2010

Ahlan Wa Sahlan ya Ramadhan



"You neither eat nor drink the whole day?" Laura asked me.

"Yes. The whole day. But not at night. Only from dawn to sunset", I replied.

"How can you survive? Can you survive?", Laura asked again.

I smiled.

"Well, it's not just you. Even Habib Bourguiba, the late President of Tunisia who was also a 'Muslim', convinced that fasting is against productivity. You know the history?", I took my turn asking Laura my question.

"How should I know? Tell me!", she said.

In 1961, Habib Bourguiba made a controversial statement claiming that fasting should not be observed for it reduces productivity. He then appeared on television with his cabinet, eating and drinking during Ramadhan.

"Why so harsh?", Laura was shocked.

"I don't know. Was it out of ignorance or arrogance? Perhaps a combination of both", I replied.

Even though fasting is there in the name of Lent among Christians, it is always the Muslim's version that cultivates questions and debates.

In order to understand about the real meaning of fasting, one should agree that it has something to do with our own paradigm and world view. The way we view things; like I always quote, "what you see is what you get".

Renung2kan dan selamat beramal~!

 

Copyright © Arzlie-Alya. Designed by Whitey Mommy